The Easiest Keto Garlic Breadsticks Recipe
I’ve always wanted to create a homemade keto version of the most raved-about garlic breadsticks of Olive Garden. So when i was flipping through Maya’s Cookbook, her Easy Keto Breadsticks recipe definitely caught my attention. I knew i had to try it right away and when i did, it did not disappoint! It delivered a soft and airy, delicious garlic butter taste. The mouthwatering aroma on these are also a point to bring up. After all, enjoying good food is an experience for all the senses.
Although these breadsticks are great on their own, you can serve them alongside a soup, stew, or salad on the side. They are so easy to make and come together in a stand mixer in about 30 minutes.
So without further ado, let’s get to the nitty and gritty of the recipe!
Gathering Must Have Ingredients
Mozzarella Cheese (shredded) – adds texture and rich flavor. This cheese has a beautiful melted consistency, making sure your breadsticks have that lovely, cheesy bite. Shred the mozzarella cheese, so it blends well with other ingredients.
Cream Cheese (cut into cubes) – cut into cubes for easier melting and mixing. It helps create a dough with good consistency. The tanginess of cream cheese also gives these low-carb keto breadsticks a unique flavor that will keep you coming back for more.
Large Eggs (beaten)– adds structure and hold all the ingredients together. Beat the fresh eggs before you add them to the mix.
Coconut Flour – the perfect gluten-free and low-carb substitute for traditional flour, keeping these breadsticks keto-friendly. Its absorbing properties give your dough a good, firm texture.
Baking Powder– helps your keto breadsticks rise and become light and fluffy.
Garlic Powder– this is where the ‘garlic’ in garlic breadsticks comes from! This gives your breadsticks a good kick of flavor.
Butter (melted)– gives moisture and a rich buttery taste to your garlic breadsticks. It must be melted to brush over the top of the breadsticks and make the tops look beautiful brown.
Italian Seasoning– a mix of herbs like basil, thyme, and oregano adds an extra layer of flavor. Sprinkle to taste. The Italian seasoning gives your breadsticks a taste like they just came from a classic Italian pizzeria!
Sea Salt – a pinch of salt goes a long way in enhancing all the flavors of your keto garlic breadsticks. You will sprinkle the sea salt on top before baking
|3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded|
|4 tbsp Cream Cheese, cut into cubes|
|4 large Eggs, beaten|
|2/3 cup Coconut Flour|
|1 tbsp Baking Powder|
|1 tsp Garlic Powder|
|1 tbsp Butter, melted|
|1 tsp Italian Seasoning|
|1 tsp Sea Salt|
Preheat The Oven To 350F.
Combine The Cheeses And Microwave.
Add Other Ingredients To Form The Dough.
Shape The Dough.
Recipe from Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook
Tools You Need
- Mixing Bowl: You'll need this to properly combine your cheeses and dry ingredients.
- Microwave Safe Bowl - Important for melting the cheese mixture together quickly.
- Baking Sheet with Parchment Paper: To line your baking pan and make sure your breadsticks don't stick.
- Brush: Use it to spread the melted butter evenly on top of the breadsticks.
- Pizza Cutter or Sharp Knife - Handy for cutting your dough into even breadsticks.
- Oven - Of course, to bake these delectable keto breadsticks to golden brown perfection.
- Parallel Steps: While the dough chills, you can melt the butter and prepare the seasoning mixture.
- Extra Almond Flour: Having some on hand can be helpful if the dough is too sticky.
- Easy Cleanup: Line your baking sheet with your parchment paper for quick and easy cleanup.
- Cheese Preparation: Shred the mozzarella cheese and cut the cream cheese into cubes before you start to make the mixing process smoother.
- Room Temperature Ingredients: Have the eggs and cream cheese at room temperature for a more creamy consistency.
- Chill the Dough: Cooling the dough in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes helps shape the breadsticks without sticking to your hands.
- Watch the Oven: Keep an eye on the breadsticks during the last minutes of baking. You want them golden brown, not burnt!
The keto Garlic breadsticks can be stored well if not consumed immediately or if there are any leftovers. Let them cool completely and store them in a tight container or a plastic bag. Then you can do the following:
- At room temperature: Store your keto garlic breadsticks in a tight container for up to 2 days.
- Refrigerate: Store your keto garlic breadsticks in a tight container in the refrigerator if not consumed immediately or if there are any leftovers. They should last for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: You can freeze the keto breadsticks. Wrap the breadsticks individually in foil or plastic wrap. They last for up to 2 months in the freezer.
- Reheat: The best way to reheat garlic breadsticks is in a preheated oven at 350F for about 10 minutes. Or, reheat them in the microwave, but be careful not to overcook them so as not to make them dry.
- Storing the Keto Fathead Dough: If you want to make the garlic dough ahead of time, you can wrap it in tight plastic wrap and refrigerate it for up to a day.
- Serving Size: Each breadstick is a generous serving. Cut them in half if you prefer smaller portions.
- Pairing: These low-carb breadsticks pair perfectly with low-carb marinara sauce or as a side to keto soup, salad, or any other hearty meal.
- Garnish: This keto breadsticks recipe is already perfect, but you can add other keto garnishes to your liking. A few handfuls of fresh parsley or grated parmesan cheese can add a touch of freshness and flavor.
- Dipping Sauces: Serve with marinara sauce or olive oil infused with minced garlic for dipping.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use almond flour, but it may change the texture slightly. You will need to adjust the quantity as almond flour tends to absorb less moisture compared to coconut flour.
You can prepare the fathead dough ahead of time to reduce prep time. Refrigerate and cover it for up to a day. When you’re ready to bake, shape the breadsticks and follow the baking instructions.
Breadsticks are not the same as bread, although they share some common ingredients and methods of preparation. Here’s how they differ:
Shape and Size: Breadsticks are long, thin, and crunchy. They’re shaped into individual sticks, whereas bread is usually baked in loaves or rolls.
Texture: Breadsticks are crisp and have a firmer bite. Bread tends to be softer and more pliable. However, breadsticks’ texture can vary, and some may be softer, resembling bread in texture.
Ingredients: While both bread and breadsticks contain flour, water, yeast, and salt, breadsticks include additional flavoring ingredients such as garlic, butter, or herbs. The flour type and ingredients proportions also differ, resulting in flavor and texture variations.
Purpose: Bread is a staple food that can be used for sandwiches, toast, or as a side to a variety of meals. Breadsticks, on the other hand, are served as a snack or appetizer and are commonly paired with dips or soups.
It should feel tacky but not so sticky that it sticks to your hands or counter. And the dough should stretch without immediately tearing. You can also try to poke the dough with your finger, and if it slowly bounces back, it’s ready.
Chilling the dough allows the keto bread to be easier to shape and handle. It helps firm up the cheese and helps the breadsticks hold their shape while baking.
If the dough becomes hard while mixing, microwave it for 10-15 seconds to soften it. This will make it easier to knead and shape.
Yes, since this recipe uses coconut flour instead of wheat flour and garlic butter mixture, it’s 100% gluten-free. Always check your ingredients’ labels to confirm they don’t contain any hidden gluten.
What I love most about the keto breadsticks is that I can pair it with just about any meal. They are so delicious and never fail to deliver a warm, savory, and delicious savory bite without too many carbs. This means that i don’t get the pesky food coma after indulging in a few and that is a win in my book!
Have you tried this recipe or any other low-carb recipes on the blog? Please rate it below and let us know what you think in the comments! I always love hearing from you!
You can also share a snap of your garlic breadsticks on Instagram and use the hashtag #buttertogetherkitchen. We’re always excited to feature you on our page!