These Keto Italian Garlic Breadsticks are so soft and airy you won’t believe they’re not the real thing! These are the easiest and simplest keto breadsticks you can make!
Join our brand new Keto Recipes, Encouragement, and Support Group HERE!
The most exciting thing about keto, except for maybe weight-loss, is finding new recipes to make! After all, it was this excitement that led to the creation of this website. We were making all of these awesome recipes that we really loved, and we wanted to share them with you!
If you are like us and are excited about new recipes, you will love Maya’s NEW Cookbook – The Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook! It is chalked full of delicious, easy, and keto recipes that are sustainable that you will definitely love.
Maya was kind enough to send us a copy of her new cookbook and we are so excited to make all of the yummy recipes in it! We were so excited about her Keto Breadsticks that we had to share them with you (with her permission, of course)!
Low Carb Keto Italian Garlic Breadsticks
Breadsticks are the best. Like really, THE best. They are buttery, garlicy, soft sticks of happiness that make every meal better.
If you’re looking for the best keto breadsticks, these are it! These keto breadsticks are so incredibly soft and airy that it is almost unbelievable.
These keto breadsticks are made from fat head dough (with a few modifications), which is a fairly common keto creation, but we’ll talk more about that in just a minute.
We were so excited to receive this exciting new cookbook because we know how amazing Maya’s recipes are! Chances are, you’ve visited her site, wholesomeyum.com, many times! She creates simple, sustainable recipes that require 10 ingredients or less, which means you probably have the necessary ingredients to make most of her recipes already!
The WholesomeYum Easy Keto Cookbook is the perfect cookbook for a keto newbie who is still trying to figure out what they like, or for your friend or family member who is on the fence about keto. This cookbook is proof that a ketogenic diet is sustainable and delicious!
Her cookbook is not only filled with amazing recipes, but also great resources like an easy keto meal plan, a shopping list, and even an explanation of how the keto diet works! This is the ultimate keto resource.
What Is Fat Head Dough?
Fat Head dough is a super common keto dough that can be used to make traditionally doughy foods. We have used fat head dough to create our Keto Cinnamon Pretzels, Keto Cinnamon Bagel Bites, and even our Garlic Parmesan Keto Pretzels!
Fat head dough is delicious, but its also incredibly easy to make! All it takes to make a basic fat head dough is some mozzarella cheese, low carb flour, cream cheese, eggs, and seasoning if desired.
Fat head dough works amazingly well for breadsticks because it is chewy like traditional breadsticks, but it also has a crispy edge.
Fat Head Dough Variations
For these keto breadsticks, you’ll use a pretty traditional form of fat head dough with just a few additions. Instead of almond flour, you’ll use coconut flour, and you’ll also need to add baking powder to your dough and Italian seasoning (or whichever seasoning you prefer). In Maya’s cookbook, you’ll have access to the almond flour variation of this recipe as well.
The reason that baking powder is used for these keto breadsticks is so that they will have a thicker consistency while also being a bit airy. Basically, baking powder will give these breadsticks the traditional breadstick look and feel!
Easy Simple Ingredients For Keto Italian Garlic Breadsticks
Of all the recipes in Maya’s new cookbook, the recipe for these keto breadsticks has to be one of our favorites! Breadsticks are the perfect side item because they go with everything. They make all dishes better!
Simple recipes are always the best, and this one is super simple! You almost certainly already have all the ingredients you’ll need to make these keto breadsticks, and you won’t have to invest a lot of time into them. Just make the dough and pop them into the oven for 18-22 minutes and you’re done!
The ingredients for these keto breadsticks are simple, but in case you were curious about any of them or what their purpose is (other than being delicious), we’ve got you covered.
- Low Moisture Part Skim Mozzarella: Regular mozzarella is very moist and will leave you with a very wet dough. Low moisture mozzarella will of course have less moisture and will result in a much better dough!
- Eggs: Eggs are eggs. We know what they taste like, and we probably know what they do. For this recipe, they simply hold all of the ingredients together. So simple, yet so important.
- Full Fat Cream Cheese: Above all else, cream cheese tastes amazing. For this recipe though, it melts with the mozzarella and crates a very pliable dough which is essential for good fat head dough!
- Coconut Flour: Coconut flour is super fluffy and also super absorbent. Coconut flour is so important for these breadsticks because it keeps the dough dry. Don’t worry, in this case we want the dough to be dry because this will lead to amazing keto breadsticks. If the dough is too moist, your breadsticks will be wet and oily instead of dry and fluffy.
- Baking Powder: We already mentioned the importance of baking powder, but again, it simply makes these breadsticks have a thicker texture, but also makes them light and airy.
- Seasoning: Seasoning is what brings these breadsticks truly great! Some melted butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning are all you need to make these breadsticks absolutely amazing!
How To Make Keto Italian Garlic Breadsticks
- Create your dough.
- Add in eggs.
- Divide dough into 8 portions.
- Shape or roll each portion into a log about 1 inch thick and 6 to 7 in long.
- Brush the tops with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and sea salt. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until golden brown.
Scroll down for full recipe card!
What To Serve With These Keto Breadsticks
The great thing about breadsticks is that they go with almost anything. There are the classics, like soups and keto “pastas,” and then there are other things like casseroles. I am willing to argue my case that breadsticks literally go with anything.
But, if you’re looking for something more specific than just “anything,” here are some dishes that these keto breadsticks would go well with:
- Low Carb Parmesan Spaghetti Squash with Zucchini
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
- Keto Low Carb Lasagna Bowls (Single-Serve Bowls)
If you’re ready to dig in to more easy and delicious Keto recipes like this one, don’t forget to grab the cookbook!
Have you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog? Please rate it below and let us know what you think in the comments! We love hearing from you!
You can also share it on instagram and use the hashtag #buttertogetherkitchen and we will feature you on our page.
More Keto Recipes You Might Enjoy:
- 3 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp Cream Cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 large Eggs, beaten
- 2/3 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the shredded mozzarella and cubed cream cheese in a large bowl. Microwave for 90 seconds, stirring halfway through. Stir again at the end until well incorporated.
- Stir in the beaten eggs, garlic powder, baking powder, and coconut flour. Knead with your hands until a dough forms. If the dough becomes hard before fully mixed, you can microwave for 10-15 seconds to soften it. Chill dough for 30 minutes so that it is easy for shape.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions. Using oiled hands, shape or roll each portion into a log about 1 inch thick and 6 to 7 inches long. Place the breadsticks 2 inches apart on the lined pan and flatten slightly.
- Brush the tops of the logs with melted butter. Sprinkle with the Italian seasoning and sea salt.
- Bake the breadsticks for 18 to 22 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe from Wholesome Yum Easy Keto Cookbook
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Servings Serving Size: 1 Breadstick
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248 Total Fat: 17g Carbohydrates: 4g Net Carbohydrates: 4g Protein: 14g
Nutritional Disclaimer: We are not certified nutritionists. Nutritional data is provided as a courtesy. The information provided is calculated through a free-web based nutrition calculator and is not guaranteed to be accurate. To ensure we provide you with good information, we look at a variety of calculators.