This Keto Sesame Chicken is the perfect take-out alternative! Whip this dish up the next time you are craving Chinese food for a full-flavor, guiltless, meal!
Keto Sesame Chicken
In our pre-keto days, Chinese takeout was one of our favorite go-to meals, and sesame chicken was our go to order. Sesame chicken is a little sweet, salty, and gingery, and has that awesome crunch that chinese chicken is known for! For so long, we have missed this yummy dish, but that ends today! This Keto Sesame Chicken has all of the delicious flavor and crunch of the sesame chicken we all know and love, just without the guilt. If you crave Chinese food as much as we do, you will absolutely love this recipe!
How Can Sesame Chicken Be Keto?
We have a few tricks up our sleeve that help make this dish yummy and also healthy. The key ingredient for this dish might actually be xanthan gum. If you are unfamiliar with xanthan gum, it is basically an all natural thickening agent that is perfect for keto sauces. Typically, you would use cornstarch to keep the sauce for this dish thick, but since cornstarch is make from corn (obviously), we have to look elsewhere. Fortunately, xanthan gum works beautifully!
Another key ingredient in this dish is Lakanto’s Golden Monkfruit. Believe it or not, this dish is normally made using brown sugar! Golden Monkfruit serves as the perfect alternative for brown sugar, as it is just as sweet and has the same delicious flavor.
Finally, sesame oil is an important ingredient for this recipe because instead of frying this chicken in vegetable oil or canola oil, it can be fried in delicious sesame oil! Sesame oil is much healthier than traditional frying oil, and it is perfect for this dish because it adds even more of that nice toasted flavor to this sesame chicken!
How To Make Keto Sesame Chicken:
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces and cast with salt and pepper to desired taste.
- Place chopped chicken into zip lock bag.
- Sprinkle in 1/2 tbsp of Xanthan gum. Close the bag and shake to coat the chicken pieces evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sesame oil and cook chicken in batches over medium high heat until cooked through.
- While the chicken cooks, made sauce by combining soy sauce, golden monkfruit, ginger, garlic, vinegar, and sesame oil and whisk together.
- (OPTIONAL) Steam some broccoli as a side dish.
- Add the broccoli into the skillet with the chicken.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and broccoli and allow to cook for two-three minutes.
- Top with sesame seeds if desired and serve.
Recommended Ingredients for making Keto Sesame Chicken (low carb, grain free):
You may be surprised to know that you really don’t need that many ingredients to create this awesome dish! In fact, if you have been cooking keto foods for a while (or even if you haven’t), you probably already have all of the necessary ingredients! All you will need is:
- Xanthan Gum
- Soy sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Lakanto Golden Monkfruit – Use code “BUTTERTOGETHER” FOR 20% off entire purchase HERE.
- White Vinegar
Nutrition (per serving) About 4 Servings
Calories: 338 | Fat: 11.25g | Carbs: 1.3g | Fiber: 0.05g | Protein: 53.6g | Net Carbs: 1.25g
Have you tried this recipe or any other recipe on the blog? Please rate it below and let us know what you think in the comments! We love hearing from you!
You can also share it on instagram and use the hashtag #buttertogetherkitchen and we will feature you on our page. Enjoy!
- 1 ½ lbs Boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ tbsp Xanthan gum
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp Lakanto Golden Sweetener (brown sugar substitute)
- 2 tsp Ginger paste
- 2 tsp Minced garlic
- 2 tsp Sesame oil, divided
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- Broccoli (optional)
- Sesame seeds and fresh chopped green onions for garnish
- Cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, and coat in salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the chicken pieces into a Ziploc bag, and sprinkle in ½ tbsp of Xanthan gum. Close the bag and shake to coat all the chicken pieces evenly.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken pieces to the heated skillet. You may need to cook the chicken in two different batches. Do not overcrowd the skillet, or the chicken will not get a good sear.
- Let the chicken sit for 3-4 minutes on one side, and then flip to the other side and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through and seared well. The xanthan gum should allow the chicken to get a bit crispy and crunchy on the outside.
- While the chicken is cooking, add the soy sauce, Lakanto Golden Sweetner (brown sugar substitute), ginger paste, minced garlic, white vinegar, and 1 tsp of sesame oil to a small bowl, and whisk to combine.
- Put a small pot of water on to boil, and blanch some broccoli for 2-3 minutes if you would like to add it to your dish.
- Drain the broccoli and add it to the skillet with the chicken.
- Pour the sauce over the mixture in the skillet, and cook for another minute or two, stirring to combine.
- Serve with sesame seeds and/or fresh chopped green onions for garnish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: About 4 Servings Serving Size: 1 Serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338 Total Fat: 11.25g Carbohydrates: Net Carbs: 1.25g Fiber: 0.05g Protein: 53.6g