Every year, I make a New Year’s resolution to lose weight… but this year was different. This year, I didn’t. When the clock struck midnight, and the calendar officially read January 1, I didn’t even bother to resolve to lose weight and get healthy. There was no use in fooling myself yet again. But that all changed a few weeks into the new year when I saw a friend on Facebook post about how he lost 50 pounds in 7 months on a “Keto” diet. You always read stories about people who lose large amounts of weight, but it’s different when the person in the story is someone you know. It makes the difficult task of losing weight seem so much more attainable when someone you know has done it. I didn’t know what a Keto diet was, but I knew that I was going to try it along with the best appetite suppressant according to weight loss bloggers.
Before I dove in head first, I wanted to make sure I knew what this thing was all about. After all, the only thing I knew about it was that it worked. I spent hours doing research online, I joined a few keto groups on Facebook, and I read a few books that helped break down exactly what this “diet” was. The most important thing I learned was that it wasn’t a “diet” at all! When you think of a diet, you think of something you do for a few weeks or a month, lose five pounds, and then when you eventually get tired of making yourself miserable, you give up and gain all of your weight back plus five more pounds. The keto “diet” was actually more of a lifestyle than a diet. I was shocked to find that there were no special foods you had to order, there were no pills you had to take before or after every meal, and I wouldn’t have to starve myself. It sounded too good to be true.
But then I started. And the weight started to fall off. And I started to feel better. And I couldn’t believe it. I should mention that my husband had no intention of changing his eating habits, even after I shared everything I learned with him. In the world of junk food, he was in too deep. But then we ran into that friend who lost 50 pounds and he completely changed his mind! He saw with his own eyes that weight loss was possible. Two days later, my husband and I were both changing our lifestyles together and I couldn’t be more proud of him. Giving up sugar and carbs is not easy but it sure does get better as time passes. And so far, he’s lost more than me! You go awesome husband of mine! 😉
So, what IS the Keto Lifestyle?
The Ketogenic Diet is a high fat, moderate protein, and low carbohydrate way of eating. When you lower the amount of sugar you consume, your body simply cannot burn glucose (or sugar) for fuel. When your body runs out of glucose to burn for fuel, it must then begin to burn stored fats for fuel. Your liver will begin to produce what are called “ketones”, and will release them into your bloodstream. These ketones tell your body that it’s time to start burning stored fats. This is a totally natural process, and it’s something that our bodies are designed to do.
In order to remain in a state of ketosis and produce ketones, we consume 20 grams (or less) of carbohydrates a day. In a normal day, our diet could be broken down this way: 70-80% calories from fat, 20-25% calories from protein, and 5-10% calories from carbs. Again, I want to stress that eating a low sugar – low carb diet does not mean that you have to starve yourself. Instead, it means that you only eat the right kinds of foods.
We have started reaping the benefits of our newfound lifestyle and we can’t wait to see where we will be a year from now! We have no regrets and we wouldn’t dream about going back to the way we used to eat. It’s easy to stay on track when you enjoy the foods you eat, and trust me, there are plenty of great keto recipe’s out there. Check out all of our recipes here!
Here are just five reasons why we chose the Keto Diet and why it’s working for us:
- We hated other diets that had no lasting effect. Every other diet we tried was always so restrictive and unenjoyable. “Only eat 800 calories and you’re guaranteed to lose weight!” “Only eat salad for a week and you’ll drop 2 pant sizes!” Blah blah blah. We’ve all heard about fad diets. There’s a new one every week. You know, the ones where, if you’re lucky, you might lose a small amount of weight only to gain it all back and then some. This isn’t the keto diet. The Keto diet gives you so much more freedom and is so much more enjoyable. I mean, YES I’ll eat fat so I can burn fat! 😉 It’s a no brainer and there are no regrets.
- Diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes in 2017 Did I just type that? Breathe. I spent a year trying to ignore that I was diagnosed with Pre-Diabetes. Instead of addressing the issue, it was so much easier to just ignore it. Instead of thinking about what the doctor told me back in 2017, I shrugged it off and told myself that it wasn’t that big of a deal and that I would be okay. The truth is, I could see what it was doing to me and I couldn’t deny that. I was quickly headed down the path to a life of insulin injections. I’ve always struggled with my weight, ever since I was a little girl, and just maybe, in the back of mind, I wanted to try and accept that it would always be like that. Since starting Keto and eliminating sugar, my body has changed for the better! My skin has improved drastically, my hair is thicker, and my waist is shrinking. It seems obvious, but eating less sugar requires your body to produce less insulin, thus reducing the likelihood for type two diabetes.
- We both were always hungry and never stayed ‘full’ for very long. We are both content with what we eat and I can’t remember the last time I had hunger pains. Fat leaves you feeling full for a longer period of time. On the other hand, excessive carbs leave you feeling hungry again in no time. Consuming carbs and sugar only makes you hungrier! That’s why you can eat a whole bag of chips and still feel hungry!
- I was always tired and would often lose focus whiling doing simple things. I wake up at 4:30 AM for work 5 days out of the week. By the time I would get home, I would want to nap for 2, or sometimes 3 hours! Napping was one of my favorite things. But sometimes, even after a nap, I would still feel tired. I was always still tired. But now, since I’ve changed my diet, I rarely need a nap! And yes, I still wake up at 4:30 AM! I’m no longer afraid I’ll fall asleep at the wheel when I go to work, I’m more alert when I get to work, and I no longer collapse in bed when I get home. I feel more productive, I spend more quality time with my husband, and I’m always in a better mood!
- We both had a huge sweet tooth. I knew eliminating cake, cookies, brownies, and all other refined sugars would be tough. Very tough. I mean, I think my husbands favorite food might actually be ice cream. But luckily there are a lot of great, tasty, low carb – low sugar ingredients that we can use to make our own desserts! Like my mom always says, “If there’s a will, there’s a way”, and trust me, there’s always a will to make desserts.
So folks, there you have it. There are so many more reasons why we chose keto, but I will leave you with these for now. Feel free to drop a comment on how it’s working for you or contact us if you have any questions!
Disclaimer: We are not certified dietitians or nutritionist, nor do we claim to be. Any advice or suggestions are purely based on our own experience there is no guarantee what works for us, will work for you. Always do your own research and consult with your doctor or physician before making any diet changes.